Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Friday, August 11, 2006

Homage to my job

I work at a really great place.

When Suzy was sick, the accounting department changed all the vacation time I was putting on my time sheets to sick time. Since Suzy died on 30 December, the year's sick hours were about to be lost anyway, and they made sure they were all used up before letting me use any vacation time.

When Suzy died, I went up there to change my health insurance policy from "employee and spouse" to "employee only," and they had already done that, too.

We have a program we run called "Summer Scholars" in which we bring in half a dozen college students from across the country, put them up in a couple apartments, and give them a summer of architecture in the real world. We challenge them and they challenge us.

This afternoon our first scholar is headed back to school, so we are throwing a wine and cheese happy hour to celebrate the summer and wish see him off. It is like the fifth happy hour we have had since June, for various excuses.

I am really lucky to work with so many thoughtful, fun-loving people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home