Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Strange Dichotomy

This morning, at Suzy's mom's request, we had a Priest offer the Catholic Prayer for the Sick at Suzy's bedside. As a lapsed Episcopalian, I must confess to an intitial disinterest in the whole thing. I mean, c'mon I thought, don't get in the way of the doctors and nurses.

By the completion of the ritual, I found my interest in spirituality strengthened. The outpouring of prayers from all of you has further pushed me back toward the religious realm. While I am not yet ready to fly to Israel for baptism in the River Jordan, my interest in religion has definately been strengthened over the last few days.

Strangely, Suzy's mom, a devout and practicing Roman Catholic, has found her faith shaken by her daughter's illness. In her world, what justice is there if a person as sweet and lovely as her daughter has been so grievously stricken. I told her if Suzy pulls through, her faith will be revitalized, but if not she should talk to her priest at length before abandoning her God. I don't know if I got through to her on that point.

Strange how a mortal crisis pushes the non-religious towards God, and the religious away (at least in this case). I guess that I am in a position of desperately needing help and she is feeling betrayed. I hope my mother-in-law finds her way back to her faith when this whole mess is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home