Yesterday was very bad for Suzy. The fluid accumulating in her abdomen and around her lungs continued to make breathing a challenge. In the morning, they removed four liters from her abdominal cavity, and in the afternoon another two liters from her lungs.
Last night I spent with Suzy in her room, and her breathing became more labored as the night progressed. By this morning, it was clear that she was right back where she had been 24 hours prior. I talked to the doctor, and lots of additional problems were becoming evident: platelet count dropping through the floor, sodium and potassium out of whack, blood coagulants almost non-existent.
We decided that Suzy had shown no real improvement in many days and was, in fact, deteriorating. Not wanting to put her through any more procedures that are doing nothing more than buying her 24 hours in a hospital bed, we decided it was time to keep Suzy comfortable and pain-free. It was a difficult decision to make, but it was also pretty clearly the only one I could make. To continue putting her through this misery would have been selfish of me and disrespectful to her.
Thank you all for your support and prayers. They have meant the world to Suzy and me. I have one more post I wrote sometime ago in the event this day did indeed arrive. I will try to put it up in the next week or so.
Last night I spent with Suzy in her room, and her breathing became more labored as the night progressed. By this morning, it was clear that she was right back where she had been 24 hours prior. I talked to the doctor, and lots of additional problems were becoming evident: platelet count dropping through the floor, sodium and potassium out of whack, blood coagulants almost non-existent.
We decided that Suzy had shown no real improvement in many days and was, in fact, deteriorating. Not wanting to put her through any more procedures that are doing nothing more than buying her 24 hours in a hospital bed, we decided it was time to keep Suzy comfortable and pain-free. It was a difficult decision to make, but it was also pretty clearly the only one I could make. To continue putting her through this misery would have been selfish of me and disrespectful to her.
Thank you all for your support and prayers. They have meant the world to Suzy and me. I have one more post I wrote sometime ago in the event this day did indeed arrive. I will try to put it up in the next week or so.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home