Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Today, Suzy decided that enough was enough, and it was time to go home. She directed me to collect everything in the room, and when I had collected it all in one place, she declared, "Okay, let's go."

She pulled me close and declared, "I will not spend one more second in this place." I told her she had to gather as much strength in her body as she had in her mind before she could go, but she would have none of it. She went on like that pretty much all day long. When I got up to go, she made sure to tell me to get the car nice and warm, because she was a little chilly.

She was transferred from the ICU on Friday night, so she has been pretty much lying around for two days - who can blame her wanting to get the hell out of there? Hopefully she will start some physical therapy tomorrow so she will have some tasks to direct her energy towards, rather than just me.

Update 9:00 PM At 8:00 PM the phone wrang. It was Suzy. She had managed to get a nurse to call for her. Her voice is still so weak that I could barely hear her. But she pleaded with me, "kurtpleaseiamsoscaredcomegetmeoutofherecometakemehomepleasekurtpleasetakemehome..."

On and on she went, my heart breaking all the way. We always promised we would take care of each other no matter what, and tonight I had to tell her, and over the phone, that I could do nothing to help her.

Update 6:00 AM Somehow, against all odds, she managed another call at midnight, again begging me to take her home. It's enough to rip your heart out of your chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home