Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Friday, December 16, 2005

The News

Last Wednesday, the doctors finally gave us a diagnosis. Suzy is suffering from end stage liver disease. The only treatment is a transplant, and we don't qualify because Suzy has had a drink within the last 6 months. That's the criterion, ONE DRINK. Even if I were found to be a perfect match and could pay for the operation in cash, they would refuse on the grounds that only the "most qualified" will receive a transplant. Period.

They were unable to tell us how long Suzy might have left. So, we will continue on, doing what we have to do to stay together as long as humanly possible. The battle has been transformed from "stay alive" to "get home." At that time, it will become "stay here as long as possible."

I can't help but feel that Suzy's victory in the first battle was a miracle, so I continue believe that we can regain some semblence of a normal life.

The good news: Today, Suzy was transferred from the ICU to regular bed. She is off oxygen and started eating solid food for the first time. She has also become somewhat cantankerous. I guess I would be, too at this point.

Those in the Norfolk area will find her in room 504 at Senatara Norfolk General. She's not ready for the phone yet, but can talk to visitors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home