Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Monday, December 12, 2005

Adios, Ventilator

Today, after 14 long days, Suzy was taken off the ventilator, a significant step forward. After all the gagging, coughing, and spitting (I can only imagine what is like to have a 10" long hard plastic tube pulled out of your trachea), she looked up at me and croaked "I love you." I spent the next hour or so applying Burt's Bees Lip Balm to her poor chapped lips rubbing a damp sponge aroung the inside of her mouth (imagine what your mouth would feel like if you kept it open for two weeks straight).

She's still pretty confused, but seemed to be getting a little more lucid as the afternoon progressed.

Update, 11:30 PMTonight, a reminder of what lies ahead. Suzy pulled me close and whispered "I'm not going to make it." I choked back my tears and told her how much I need her to come home to me. I don't know what she heard, or what made her say that, but this is one freaking E-Ticket of a ride I am on.

To anyone nearby that would like to see Suzy, she will definitely recognize and speak to you. Please stop by and give her your encouragement, but please make it brief (unless she begs you to stay).

Directions: Main Sentara entrance, left at the end of the corridor... Take the Kaufmann Elevators to the third floor, head to the right, and Suzy is in room 351. Hours are noon to six, and eight to nine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home