Periodically, Suzy wakes up and becomes extremely agitated. Sometimes it is because a sheet has bunched up and is pressing into her side, other times her mouth has dried out and become painful, and still others she is simply confused and disoriented.
Now that she is semi-concious, I have been able to talk her through these episodes, sometimes by discovering what is bothering her and remedying the problem.
This weekend, her sister has joined her mother and me at her side. I am torn, since I have been more successful than anyone at keeping my sweetie calm and making her smile. I would love for her mother and sister to do the same, because they so devoutly want to. But in a selfish way it reassures me that, for Suzy, I am the one. It is humbling indeed, and I am both honored and proud, to be the guy that can supersede her mother and sister. That is something for me to genuinely cherish, because Suzy so cherishes both of them.
In her illness, Suzy has paid me the best complement possible. I hope I can live up to her trust and devotion.
Now that she is semi-concious, I have been able to talk her through these episodes, sometimes by discovering what is bothering her and remedying the problem.
This weekend, her sister has joined her mother and me at her side. I am torn, since I have been more successful than anyone at keeping my sweetie calm and making her smile. I would love for her mother and sister to do the same, because they so devoutly want to. But in a selfish way it reassures me that, for Suzy, I am the one. It is humbling indeed, and I am both honored and proud, to be the guy that can supersede her mother and sister. That is something for me to genuinely cherish, because Suzy so cherishes both of them.
In her illness, Suzy has paid me the best complement possible. I hope I can live up to her trust and devotion.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home