The perils of too much information
Two days ago, one of the people working with Suzy mentioned "ARDS," acute respiritory distress syndrome. Last night I got around to doing a little research, and it was chilling:
Well, I got to the hospital today and immediately questioned the staff about Suzy's condition and ARDS. I was reassured by three different staffers that she does not currently suffer from ARDS. Maybe I heard them saying they wanted to make sure she didn't get it? Who knows. Just a pointed reminder to try to avoid getting too caught up in this emotional roller coaster.
Despite the best effort of the best doctors, nurses and family members, approximately 40% of ARDS victims succumb to their acute illness.Ouch! That's grim. I spent all morning today fretting about this new unheard-of syndrome, with a mortality rate higher than the liver failure.
Well, I got to the hospital today and immediately questioned the staff about Suzy's condition and ARDS. I was reassured by three different staffers that she does not currently suffer from ARDS. Maybe I heard them saying they wanted to make sure she didn't get it? Who knows. Just a pointed reminder to try to avoid getting too caught up in this emotional roller coaster.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home