Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Glimmer of Hope

We had a long chat with one of Suzy's doctors tonight. Here is where things stand:

On Tuesday night, after Suzy's first full day in the hospital, things were very grim, and the doctors had no idea what to expect. She could quite easily have unraveled completely, and they wanted us to be prepared for that. Since then, there have been some baby steps forward:

*Blood pressure medicine has been discontinued completely - Suzy is maintaining her own circulation quite well now.
*Kidney function has picked up, allowing them to reduce the quantities of fluids they were giving her.
*Digestive function has picked up as well, and blood ammonia has dropped considerably. It is still too high for conciousness.
*Her oxygen uptake has improved to the point that the ventilator has been reset to a mode more closely resembling normal breathing.
*Some of her liver function tests have shown a slight improvement.

While the doctor cautioned that she is not yet out of the woods, he did say that she has turned a "small corner." Today is my birthday, and I consider this news to be the best present I could have received, given where we were five days ago. It's a long road, but at least there appears to be some forward motion.

Keep praying, guys! So far it's working!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home