Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Suzy's condition is largely unchanged from last night: unconcious, sedated, on a ventilator, with pretty good vital signs. Today's development is the phasing out of a narcotic sedative in favor of another, in preparation for getting her to breathe on her own.

Until now, they have been sedating her with Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate analgesic with a potency 80 times that of morphine. No wonder it has so effectively kept her "out."

Now, as the Fentanyl is reduced, she comes closer to conciousness, which is pretty scary to see. She looks terrified, eyes searching wildly around the room, almost seeming to choke on the tubes, and straining at the restraints they have had to put on her wrists. Let's hope they can get her breathing and get those vent tubes out of there quickly! I'll post an update after our 8 PM visit.

Update, 9:20 PM: No news. Suzy remains calm. We left early to avoid awakening or otherwise disturbing her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home