Big News
Suzy will be moved from the ICU to a regular hospital bed as soon as one becomes available. Her mind also seems to be clearing - our conversations today were less disjointed, and got better still as the afternoon progressed. By 4:00, I said to her, "Suze, I don't know if you have noticed, but we are talking better." She said, "Yeah, I feel a lot better." She was also smiling more and starting to wisecrack. Tests on her liver function, the underlying cause of this whole mess are so far inconclusive, so my encouragement is moderated by that unknown.
This afternoon provided a comic reminder of how much we count on the routine of our daily sensations. While they re-positioned Suzy to prevent pressure sores, I took a walk down to a nearby surgical waiting room, where they provide free coffee. After one cup (black, one sugar, thank you) I went back to Suzy's bedside. She noticed, saying "You smell like coffee." I replied that yeah, I had just had some. She looked up and said simply, "Taste?"
She's still on a chipped ice diet, so I leaned over, opened wide, and Suzy ran her tongue around my mouth, tasting the coffee. Afterwards, she seemed very satisfied with the experience. I guess when all you've tasted in two weeks is plastic tubing and latex gloves, even second hand coffee is a joy. I know one Mike Taylor who will get a big kick out of that story.
Update, 10:20 PM: Apparently, Suzy's blood sodium levels are slightly elevated, so they have elected to keep her in the ICU a little longer to watch that. At this point, I have no argument against excessive caution.
This afternoon provided a comic reminder of how much we count on the routine of our daily sensations. While they re-positioned Suzy to prevent pressure sores, I took a walk down to a nearby surgical waiting room, where they provide free coffee. After one cup (black, one sugar, thank you) I went back to Suzy's bedside. She noticed, saying "You smell like coffee." I replied that yeah, I had just had some. She looked up and said simply, "Taste?"
She's still on a chipped ice diet, so I leaned over, opened wide, and Suzy ran her tongue around my mouth, tasting the coffee. Afterwards, she seemed very satisfied with the experience. I guess when all you've tasted in two weeks is plastic tubing and latex gloves, even second hand coffee is a joy. I know one Mike Taylor who will get a big kick out of that story.
Update, 10:20 PM: Apparently, Suzy's blood sodium levels are slightly elevated, so they have elected to keep her in the ICU a little longer to watch that. At this point, I have no argument against excessive caution.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home