Suzy's Celebration

Celebrating memories of my late wife, Suzanne Alison Storms, who left me to embark on a new adventure on December 30, 2005. As I go through her things and try to piece some semblence of a life back together, I will post anything that I think might be of interest to anyone who knows either of us.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Friday, December 23, 2005

Ups and Downs II

Today was a strange day. I arrived at Suzy's room around 1:30, and she had been resisting food and fluids since her mother's arrival earlier in the morning. I cajoled her for 30 minutes, but she remained obstinate. No food, no fluids. In fact, she was literally throwing ice water onto the floor when it was offered. By the time her mom got up to leave around 2:00, I told her to take the radio with her, since Suzy wouldn't be getting any stronger, and would evidently prefer to die where she lay. We were both frustrated, exhausted, and crestfallen.

I continued to explain her situation and plead with her to eat something. I begged, pleaded, and demanded; by 3:30 we had reached an accomodation: Suzy would eat or drink a little bit every fifteen minutes, if I wouldn't ask her to consume any more than she wanted. We were able to continue on that regimen fairly well until I left at 8 PM, so Suzy ate and drank better today than she has in several days.

Physical therapy arrived and took Suzy through a series of exercises, which I will repeat with her tomorrow and Christmas. Also, Suzy's G/I doc stopped by to tell us that her liver function is showing some improvement. She was also encouraged by Suzy's improved mental alertness and communication. I hope the pep talk she gave Suzy got through to her.

We did have one very poignant moment, when Suzy asked me straight out, "Am I dying?" I told her, and I believe truthfully, that she is not dying right now. We've always been totally straight with each other, so I also told her that she was sick enough that, in the event something went wrong, she could perish quickly. Hopefully, that will motivate her to build up her strength a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home